
Zaz pretty much said it all. The monkey's were cool, they were everywhere. Just these little human-like creatures running around doing their thing. A guy at a restaurant showed me how you could just shake a chair at them or bang a stick to keep them at a distance....just to let them know to give us a little space. We saw a few monkey's aggressively jump at people, so we didn't want to take any chances. I guess mostly because I was thinking about rabies or something. You have to understand, there is hardly a health care system here at all and we already know rabies shots don't even exist here in India let alone on top of a mountain that we hiked past horses to get to. I'm not one to always be worrying about these things, but when I do, it's not a fun road to go down. 
Like the other night, on the overnight train we took from Jalgaon I was imagining the options I would have if something went wrong physically. We got on the train and there were people sleeping everywhere--the floor was covered with bodies draped in their blankets- aisles and all....Our good friend at the Hotel Plaza told us if anyone was sleeping in our bunk, we should be strong and kindly asked them to leave. That was a good piece of advice because when I told an entire family of four that they were sharing my bunk, the big guy at the end replied, "sorry this is occupied." I said, "No. You have to get up, this is my bunk---#20."(firmly) and they slowly all got up and moved. There I was on the bottom bunk with someone sitting on the end near my feet (I let that slide), 2 people on 2 bunks above me one on top of the other, 2 people sleeping on the floor in between the same 3 bunk set-up facing mine, and the aisles filled with people sleeping throughout the whole train. I was thinking what would I do if I had a problem with my body....I couldn't think of a specific problem until I heard my heart beating. I was lying down and looking out at this pile of bodies and blankets as rural India roared past from the half open window thinking, what if I had a problem with my heart--oh shit. Not a good thought, and the following thoughts were worse. But I managed to forget about it long enough until I fell asleep..

Matheran was paradise....and now on to our next ....Goa. We've heard so much about it--all good things. The next post should be a juicy one.
howdyasay 'good-bye and happy new years in hindu?"
gregg

Like the other night, on the overnight train we took from Jalgaon I was imagining the options I would have if something went wrong physically. We got on the train and there were people sleeping everywhere--the floor was covered with bodies draped in their blankets- aisles and all....Our good friend at the Hotel Plaza told us if anyone was sleeping in our bunk, we should be strong and kindly asked them to leave. That was a good piece of advice because when I told an entire family of four that they were sharing my bunk, the big guy at the end replied, "sorry this is occupied." I said, "No. You have to get up, this is my bunk---#20."(firmly) and they slowly all got up and moved. There I was on the bottom bunk with someone sitting on the end near my feet (I let that slide), 2 people on 2 bunks above me one on top of the other, 2 people sleeping on the floor in between the same 3 bunk set-up facing mine, and the aisles filled with people sleeping throughout the whole train. I was thinking what would I do if I had a problem with my body....I couldn't think of a specific problem until I heard my heart beating. I was lying down and looking out at this pile of bodies and blankets as rural India roared past from the half open window thinking, what if I had a problem with my heart--oh shit. Not a good thought, and the following thoughts were worse. But I managed to forget about it long enough until I fell asleep..

Matheran was paradise....and now on to our next ....Goa. We've heard so much about it--all good things. The next post should be a juicy one.
howdyasay 'good-bye and happy new years in hindu?"
gregg
1 comment:
checking for dad
Post a Comment