
Wow. We are in Palolem in South Goa. Zaz and I met Teddy in Bombay, took a roach-infested coffin bus for 12 hrs(or more--lost track) to Goa where we met up with our friend Fawni.....the state that many people have told us to visit because of its beauty. Once again the chaos with the trains/ bus/ traveling situation--including almost buying fake tickets, bribing a station manager, trying to bribe everyone at the train station, failing at bribing, unexpected bus transfers, not knowing who worked for the bus company and who was just bullshitting, the bus being 6 hours late, the local bus to the town packed with enough people to fill three buses without AC, and a walk down the beach with our backpacks into a hut right on the ocean for 3 bucks each/ per night.
Well, its all been worth it and we have gotten quite comfortable here. The three of us are having an amazing time. Who wouldn't? We have a thatch hut with a porch where we watch the sun set over the ocean every night. Then we walk around and choose from one-of many- amazing restaurants right on the beach. I haven't worn shoes or sandales in 2 days--there's no need. Last night as we were having dinner by candlelight, the ocean tide gently rushed over our feet before returning back into the blackness. The water is clean (its not textbook paradise turqoise--more like a green), so I get up every morning- walk out our door the short trip to the water with bed eye gook in my eyes and go for a swim. It's been nice -not only to have a ton of westerners around- but to have a new crew of four(Fawni, Teddy, Zaz, and I). Although we are making friends, we don't really need anyone else.
Every other place is a restaurant with candles and bean bag seating or lawn chairs stretched out
in front with a few huddled candle-lit tables. The place we are at is owned by a bunch of mid- 30 Brits. It's a bar/ restaurant with bent funky worn slanted wood everywhere. It also has a pool table right in the sand. On New Years, we popped some bubbly with 3-4 british friends we made on the bus ride down. We walked barefoot from club to bar dancing to some pretty dope electronic euro funk the whole night. Zaz and Fawni unfortunately had some really horrible experiences with indian men grabbing them. Once you make a scene though, these men are embarrassed--and its not the majority. Zaz turned around and punched one right in the neck--he was stunned and other men shoed him away.
I don't know when we'll leave here--the topic hasn't been brought up once. It's just such a nice change from what we've been going through. Although this morning at breakfast I was thinking about what would be next. I'm not ready to strap the backpack on yet, but I felt the urge under there somewhere. Maybe a few more swims in the ocean will bring it to the surface.
gg
Well, its all been worth it and we have gotten quite comfortable here. The three of us are having an amazing time. Who wouldn't? We have a thatch hut with a porch where we watch the sun set over the ocean every night. Then we walk around and choose from one-of many- amazing restaurants right on the beach. I haven't worn shoes or sandales in 2 days--there's no need. Last night as we were having dinner by candlelight, the ocean tide gently rushed over our feet before returning back into the blackness. The water is clean (its not textbook paradise turqoise--more like a green), so I get up every morning- walk out our door the short trip to the water with bed eye gook in my eyes and go for a swim. It's been nice -not only to have a ton of westerners around- but to have a new crew of four(Fawni, Teddy, Zaz, and I). Although we are making friends, we don't really need anyone else.
Every other place is a restaurant with candles and bean bag seating or lawn chairs stretched out
in front with a few huddled candle-lit tables. The place we are at is owned by a bunch of mid- 30 Brits. It's a bar/ restaurant with bent funky worn slanted wood everywhere. It also has a pool table right in the sand. On New Years, we popped some bubbly with 3-4 british friends we made on the bus ride down. We walked barefoot from club to bar dancing to some pretty dope electronic euro funk the whole night. Zaz and Fawni unfortunately had some really horrible experiences with indian men grabbing them. Once you make a scene though, these men are embarrassed--and its not the majority. Zaz turned around and punched one right in the neck--he was stunned and other men shoed him away.I don't know when we'll leave here--the topic hasn't been brought up once. It's just such a nice change from what we've been going through. Although this morning at breakfast I was thinking about what would be next. I'm not ready to strap the backpack on yet, but I felt the urge under there somewhere. Maybe a few more swims in the ocean will bring it to the surface.
gg
No comments:
Post a Comment